What You Need
- Cheese slices
- Whole-grain crackers
- Plastic cookie cutters (animal, storybook or seasonal shapes)
“Funny Face” Yogurt
- Plain or fruit-flavored yogurt
- Strawberries, sliced
- Dry cereal
Jigglin’ Juicy Snacks
- 2 1/2 cups Apple Juicy Juice® Premium 100% Juice
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) gelatin dessert, any flavor
How To Make It
Getting creative in the kitchen is something your toddler can do, right from his high chair!
To make the Cookie-Cutter Snacks, set out several plastic cookie cutters and slices of cheese on your child’s high chair tray.
- Ask him to pick one of the cookie cutters, “Is that a kitty? Or a dog?” “Can you find a flower?”
- Once you have talked about the cookie-cutter shape, help your child press it onto a piece of cheese. Put the cheese cut out onto a cracker. Praise your child for creating such fun snacks
- Here are other healthy snacks that you and your toddler can make into fun shapes:
- Banana bread
- Grilled cheese sandwich
- Seedless watermelon or cantaloupe
To make “Funny Face” yogurt, set a small bowl of your child’s favorite yogurt on his high chair tray.
- Tell your toddler that you are making a funny face while you place two blueberry “eyes” and a dry cereal “smile” on top of the yogurt.
- As you are creating the funny face on the yogurt, name the parts of the face and point to these parts of your toddler’s face. Soon he will be able to point to these parts of his face when you name them.
- To make Jigglin’ Juicy Snacks, Bring Juicy Juice to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Add gelatin and stir until completely dissolved. Pour into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Dip bottom of baking dish in warm water for about 10 seconds and remove. Using cookie cutters, help your toddler cut gelatin into decorative shapes. Lift shapes from dish and give to your toddler for a fun snack that will jiggle in his hands!