What You Need
- 1 empty 46-oz. plastic Juicy Juice® bottle
- 1 utility knife
- 1 package of cheesecloth
- 1 rubber band
- 1 cup of dried alfalfa sprouts
How To Do It
- (PARENTS ONLY) Use a utility knife to cut off the top 4 inches of the Juicy Juice bottle so that you have a wide opening.
- Wash and dry the bottle.
- Place the beans in a plastic container.
- Cover with cheesecloth and secure with a rubber band.
Place the cup of dried alfalfa sprouts into the bottom of the bottle.
Cover the opening with a square of cheese cloth and secure with the rubber band.
Fill the bottle with cool water and set it in the shade for 8 hours. (You might do this in the evening so that your sprouts begin to grow overnight.)
The morning of Day 2, gently drain the water from the bottle and return it to the shade.
The evening of Day 2, fill the bottle with cool water, immediately drain the water, then return it to the shade.
Day 3 and 4
Each morning and evening, fill the bottle with cool water, immediately drain the water and return the bottle to the shade. (You should see the sprouts beginning to grow.)
Your sprouts should now be ready to harvest!
Here are tasty ways for you and your kids to enjoy your “crop.”
- Mix a handful into your favorite salad.
- Add to your sandwich instead of lettuce.
- Toss into purchased or homemade soup.
Keep your sprouts fresh by storing them in the vegetable bin of your refrigerator. Wrap them in paper towels and place them in a plastic bag.