When the weather outside is frightful, we find that an indoor craft is positively delightful! One of our favorite crafts is to ring in the holiday season with our very own bell ornaments. These bells are easy to make in an afternoon, plus you can make them your very own by painting your favorite design on the outside. It’s a great way to craft an ornament you’ll love to hang up year after year.
- One small clay planter for each bell you’ll be making
- Holiday colored pipe cleaners
- Your favorite paint colors
- A paint brush or brushes (if needed for different designs)
- Paper towels
- A glass of water to rinse out the paint when you want to change colors
- A paper plate to hold all the colors that you want to use
Begin by painting the outside of your planters with your favorite holiday design. You could stick to holiday classics like red and white stripes or even paint your own rendition of Santa himself.
Once you’re finished painting, carefully place your planter on top of a few folded sheets of paper towel to dry.
When your planter is dry, bend a piece of pipe cleaner in half and carefully thread both ends through the small hole on top of your planter, then twist the ends together into a ball. Ensure your twisted pipe cleaner is large enough that it won’t fit back through the hole in the top of the planter. This way you can use the looped pipe cleaner emerging through the top hole to hang your bell.
Your holiday bell is now ready to hang up and display!