WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 – 2 foot by 4 foot sheet of poster board
- 1 – 9 inch by 12 inch piece of felt
- 3 – 9 inch by 12 inch pieces of heavy-duty white construction paper
- 1-hole punch
- Fabric glue
- Glue stick
- Craft foam letters
- Colored markers
HOW TO DO IT
- Cut out 2 – 5 1/2 inch square pieces of poster board.
- Cut out 2 – 5 1/2 inch square pieces of felt.
- Cut out 2 – 5 1/2 inch square pieces of heavy-duty white construction paper.
- Cut out 6 – 5 1/4 inch square pieces of heavy-duty white construction paper.
- To make the front book cover, use fabric glue to adhere a square of felt to one side of the poster board square and a glue stick to adhere a square of heavy-duty construction paper to the other side of the poster board.
- Repeat this process for the back book cover.
- Punch holes in the front and back book covers. (See template for exact position).
- Punch holes in the 6 – 5 1/4 inch squares of white construction paper. (Use the same template)
- Have your child write or draw special thoughts about Dad on each of the 6 pages of the book.
- You might help younger children by giving them some phrases that they can complete. For example:
- My dad is special because____________________
- I like it when my dad_________________________
- My dad’s favorite food is______________________
- My dad likes to play__________________________
- My dad is______________feet_________inches tall
- My dad weighs_________________________pounds
- My dad is____________________________years old
- When the pages are finished, string ribbon through holes and tie into bows.
- Print out the book title from template that reads “My Book About”. Color and glue to the top front of the book.
- Use craft glue to attach “D-A-D” craft foam letters below the title.
- Your children can get a head start on holiday gift giving by making a “My Book About” for every member of the family.
FOLLOW UP FUN
- Begin talking to your children about your family history. You can bring out a map or Atlas to show them where family members are living now and where grandparents and great grandparents came from a long time ago.
- You can also go online to one of the genealogy sites and enter your family name. It’s a great way to get your family interested in building a family tree.