WHAT YOU NEED
- Serving tray or bed tray
- 1 piece of 8 1/2 inch by 11 inch paper
- Poem for Mom
- Pencil or colored marker
- Small plate
- Breakfast Parfait (see recipe below)
- French Vanilla Mocha (see recipe below)
- Heart shaped cinnamon toast (see recipe below)
- 1 flower
- 2 graham crackers
- 1 resealable plastic bag
- Rolling pin
- 1 cup blueberries (or other seasonal berry)
- 8 oz. carton vanilla yogurt
- Parfait glass
HOW TO DO IT
- Place 2 graham crackers into a resealable plastic bag and roll the rolling pin over them to crush coarsely.
- In the glass, place about 1/4 of the berries, top with 1/3 of the yogurt and 1/3 of the crushed graham crackers. Repeat this twice more, then top with more berries.
HEART-SHAPED CINNAMON TOAST
- One slice of firm bread
- Heart shaped cookie cutter or safety scissors
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tsp. cinnamon
- Small bowl or cup
- Butter or margarine, softened
HOW TO DO IT
- In a small bowl or cup, mix the sugar and cinnamon until it is blended.
- Cut the bread into a heart shape using a cookie cutter or safety scissors.
- Toast the bread.
- Spread the bread with butter or margarine and sprinkle it with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
HOW TO PREPARE MOM’S BREAKFAST TRAY
- Write a simple poem for Mom. For example:
I love you Mom
I think you’re the Best!
And On Mother’s Day
You should get some rest.
Since you always make me
Such good things to eat,
Today I made you a special treat!
- Set the tray with a napkin, spoon, plate and mug.
- Place your poem and flower on the tray.
- Place the finished parfait on a small plate on the tray.
- Place the toasted heart on the plate leaning up against the parfait.
- Carefully carry the tray and serve to Mom. (Help with this too.)
- What a “perfect” way to start the day!
- Put the slice of bread you will be using for the Heart-Shaped Cinnamon Toast into the freezer for about 5 minutes before cutting the heart shape. It keeps the bread edges from pressing together when using the cookie cutter or scissors.
LITTLE KITCHEN HELPER HINTS
- Let the children be in charge of picking the special flower for Mom’s tray.
- Before making the parfait, have the children divide the berries into 4 equal piles. Help them count the number of berries that are in each pile. To make all of the little piles of berries the same, they may have to add to some and subtract from others. This will help them with their visual dexterity as well as adding and subtracting skills.
FOLLOW UP FUN
- Take a picture of Mom enjoying her Special Breakfast and make a frame for it out of decorative craft paper so that she can display it and remember how special you are!