Create a heartwarming piece of handmade jewelry this Valentine’s Day for someone special.
Please note: the paint and glue used in this project will require additional drying time; allow completed project to dry overnight.
What you need:
- 9 x 12 sheet of stiff felt in white or a color of your choice (for flower petals and center)
- 9 x 12 sheet of stiff felt in green (for leaf and pin base)
- 1 small felt heart (pre-cut adhesive backed, or cut out your own, using a contrasting color from flower petals)
- 1-inch bar pin backing with adhesive back
- Felt glue or craft glue
- Ballpoint pen
- Bottle cap from a jug of juice (to trace a large circle)
- Bottle cap from a 9 oz. soda or water bottle (to trace a small circle)
- 3D paint in colors of your choice
- Glitter (optional)
How to do it:
- First, take the large juice bottle cap and trace a circle on the green felt. Cut it out and set it aside. This will be the pin base.
- Next, draw a leaf shape on the green felt. Cut it out and set it aside.
- Now, take the small bottle cap and the white felt and trace a circle. Cut it out and set it aside. This will be part of the flower’s center.
- To make the flower petals, cut the white felt into 2 or 3 strips approximately ¾ inches wide. Then, cut those strips into smaller pieces approximately ¾ inches wide by 2 inches long. Using scissors, round off one end of each piece to form flower petals. To make a full daisy flower you will need to make approximately 8 to 10 petals.
- Once you have cut out all of the pieces for the flower pin, gather the large circle and the flower petal shapes. Using glue, attach the petals on top of the base piece all the way around the circle. As you glue them down, overlap the petals.
- Take the smaller circle and glue it to the center of the flower to help secure the flower petals. To complete the flower center, glue a felt heart shape on top of the small circle.
- Then attach the leaf by gluing it underneath the petals so that just a small piece sticks out.
- Using paint and glitter, if desired, decorate your pin. Allow your pin to dry overnight before attaching the pin backing.
You now have a fun and flowery Valentine’s Day pin to wear or give as a surprise gift to a friend or family member.