Want to get fit as a family? Fitness expert, Coach Steve Connaughton, has a few great tips the whole family can do together. Give them a shot:
- Let your kids pick a new theme each week.
- Adventure Week:Take a walk each day and find animal tracks in the snow.
- Sports Week:Play a different sport each day.
- Creative Week:Get active through dance or drama.
- Community Week:Find a new park, community center or fitness event in your community.
- Jump in!
Why wait until June to play summer games? Stay active by using a balloon to create your own indoor volleyball game.
- Walk for a cause.
Helping others while getting fit – now that’s multitasking! The American Heart Association’s Start! Heart Walkis one of the country’s biggest events, with 450 walks nationwide. Encourage the whole family to participate in a walk this spring! For more information, visit americanheart.org.
- Introduce a new healthy food to your family’s diet.
- Cabbage surprise:High in vitamins C & K and fiber, cabbage is perfect on a turkey wrap, in a salad or with a stir-fry meal. And kids love the crunch!
- Smoothie power:Smoothies made with real fruit, soy or regular milk, peanut butter, yogurt and/or wheat germ are packed with protein and fiber. They’re a great way to start the day off right.
- Squash calories:Low-calorie, fat-free squash is a hearty source of vitamins A & C, potassium and fiber. Prepare with a touch of brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, and you have a completely healthy, perfectly delicious side dish.